Saturday, August 28, 2010

Utah Half Ironman Report

While I am sitting here not moving (which feels awesome), I figured I would report on the Utah 1/2 Ironman. It was a fun race and I had a great time. I was a little concerned about the weather forecast but other than some wind and a crappy 15 minute rainstorm (imagine getting pelted in the face with rock salt), the weather cooperated nicely. The gun went off at 6:45 and after getting kicked in the face repeatedly, I hung back and found my groove for the 1.2 mile swim. I hope I don't have some disease after spending that much time in Utah Lake. Out of the water and on to the bike. The first 28 miles went by fast but then the wind picked up a little bit and I was ready to be done. It was hard not to think about the run that was coming up fast. After ditching the bike and donning my running kicks, I was off for a quick 13.1 mile jaunt. It wasn't as quick as I thought it was going to be. I started cramping up really bad about mile 7 and had to push through the last loop. I had no idea your groin could cramp. I lost my calves (not very big or helpful in the first place), then the hamstrings went. Just for good measure, my groin decided to join the cramp party. Finally, the finish line was in sight and after one last round of cramps, I made it across the finish line. All in all, I had a good time but am glad that it is done and over with.
I want to give a special thanks to Jordie, Heather, and my Mom for coming down (EARLY) and supporting me. It was a huge lift seeing them and knowing that they would be at certain points cheering me on. Spending that much time swimming, biking, and running gives you a lot of time with just your thoughts (no iPod's allowed). It helps to know that you have loved ones waiting for you. Also, the volunteers, race staff, and fellow competitors were great and very uplifting at times.

Here are a few pics from the days events...

First things first...I had an AWESOME support crew. A huge thanks to my Mom for coming down even though she probably had other things to do. Thanks to Heather for being a great coach and for bringing the cowbell. Most of all, I want to thank my sweetheart Jordan for allowing me to spend the time training (which means less time with her and taking care of Garrett) and for supporting me in all of my races. Also, she stayed up late making the "Iron Turkey" t-shirts (which are awesome and will cost you big $$$). I love you and am grateful more than you will ever know.
Heather and the cowbell. It's what got me through the race.

A little last minute advice from Coach Heather

Waiting for the gun (and peeing in my wetsuit). I'm the one waving like an idiot.

Off we go. I'm probably in the front somewhere :)
Finally out of the water and trying to get the stupid wetsuit off.
On my way to the first transition and a long bike ride. Not sure why I am running to get there.
Headed out on the bike. See you in a few hours.

Back so soon??? Coming in off the the bike REALLY excited to run :)

Ditching the bike for my running kicks.

One of the few smiles on the day. This must have been before the cramps started.

Crossing the finish line and happy to be doing so.
I'm not moving anymore!

Me and Jordie at the finish line.


  1. You did GREAT Chaddie! You are awesome!

  2. Great job! See you in a month for your next big race!

  3. Hooray for Chad! Good job buddy!